Unprecedented snowstorms are predicted to sweep across the East Coast. With this severe weather underway property-owners should take immediate action to protect themselves and their property.
Starting on Friday, unprecedented snowstorms are predicted to sweep across the East Coast. Such blizzard conditions can lead to large snow loads on the roofs of homes and businesses, which, unattended, can cause damage and even collapse.
With this severe weather underway property-owners should take immediate action to protect themselves and their property, according to
Mark Desrochers, president of The Hanover Insurance Group’s personal lines insurance business
“Cold winter months alone can cause damage to your home or your business. But, emerging challenges, such as snow loads can weigh down a roof, causing serious damage and even collapse — especially if the roof is flat,”
said. “While pre-season prevention works best, there are steps you can take now to help avoid damage.”
With this in mind, The Hanover offers a few simple steps that can help home and business owners protect themselves and their property during the storm:
• Watch for falling snow and ice from roofs.
• Don’t put untrained individuals on roofs to clear snow. Falls from roofs and possible exposure to electrical wires while on the roof are serious hazards.
• Inspect roofs for leaks or structural deficiencies that may develop during the storm.
• Make certain that gutters, drains and downspouts are clear of ice and debris.
• Clear snow and ice away from exhaust vents that go through exterior walls.
• Clear decks of snow to reduce stress on them.
Additionally, after the storm
• Clear areas around downspouts so that water from melting snow has a path to flow away from the house or building.
• Remove snow from sidewalls to prevent high snow mounds from pushing them in.
• Temporarily shore up and brace dipping or sagging roofs or walls.
• Improper operation of doors or windows, deflection of ceiling finishes, or exposed beams, roof leaks or sprinkler heads moved from their normal positions could be signs of roof failure.
Founded in 1852, The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG) is proud to be celebrating 160 years of delivering on its promises to its agent and broker partners, and their customers. The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc., based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company, Worcester, Mass., Citizens Insurance Company of America, Howell, Mich., Chaucer Holdings plc, London, and their affiliates. The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to businesses, individuals, and families through a select group of agents and brokers. The company is ranked among the top 25 property and casualty insurers in the United States. Through Chaucer, the company also underwrites business at Lloyd's of London in several major insurance and reinsurance classes, including property, marine and aviation, energy, U.K. motor and casualty. For more information, please visit www.Hanover.com.