• Revenue Cycle Management
  • COVID-19
  • Reimbursement
  • Diabetes Awareness Month
  • Risk Management
  • Patient Retention
  • Staffing
  • Medical Economics® 100th Anniversary
  • Coding and documentation
  • Business of Endocrinology
  • Telehealth
  • Physicians Financial News
  • Cybersecurity
  • Cardiovascular Clinical Consult
  • Locum Tenens, brought to you by LocumLife®
  • Weight Management
  • Business of Women's Health
  • Practice Efficiency
  • Finance and Wealth
  • EHRs
  • Remote Patient Monitoring
  • Sponsored Webinars
  • Medical Technology
  • Billing and collections
  • Acute Pain Management
  • Exclusive Content
  • Value-based Care
  • Business of Pediatrics
  • Concierge Medicine 2.0 by Castle Connolly Private Health Partners
  • Practice Growth
  • Concierge Medicine
  • Business of Cardiology
  • Implementing the Topcon Ocular Telehealth Platform
  • Malpractice
  • Influenza
  • Sexual Health
  • Chronic Conditions
  • Technology
  • Legal and Policy
  • Money
  • Opinion
  • Vaccines
  • Practice Management
  • Patient Relations
  • Careers

Q&A: Taxes on grant money


I have been awarded a grant designed to recruit new physicians to underserved areas in my state. Is this money subject to taxes?

Q: I have been awarded a grant designed to recruit new physicians to underserved areas in my state by providing money for the first four years in practice. My accountant says that this is taxable income because I work for it. The state's rural recruiting organization feels that it should not be considered taxable income, but, of course, they told me to consult with my accountant. Do you have any idea?

A: The old saying that there is no such thing as a free lunch applies here. The IRS will consider the grant income, so you'd better do the same. The bigger question here is not whether the grant is subject to income taxes, but whether it would also be subject to Social Security tax. The IRS has gotten very aggressive in recent years in trying to collect Social Security taxes. Adding the Social Security tax would greatly increase your tax bill associated with this grant. One possible way of avoiding Social Security tax is to include the grant money as "other income," which is not subject to the tax.

Related Videos