• Revenue Cycle Management
  • COVID-19
  • Reimbursement
  • Diabetes Awareness Month
  • Risk Management
  • Patient Retention
  • Staffing
  • Medical Economics® 100th Anniversary
  • Coding and documentation
  • Business of Endocrinology
  • Telehealth
  • Physicians Financial News
  • Cybersecurity
  • Cardiovascular Clinical Consult
  • Locum Tenens, brought to you by LocumLife®
  • Weight Management
  • Business of Women's Health
  • Practice Efficiency
  • Finance and Wealth
  • EHRs
  • Remote Patient Monitoring
  • Sponsored Webinars
  • Medical Technology
  • Billing and collections
  • Acute Pain Management
  • Exclusive Content
  • Value-based Care
  • Business of Pediatrics
  • Concierge Medicine 2.0 by Castle Connolly Private Health Partners
  • Practice Growth
  • Concierge Medicine
  • Business of Cardiology
  • Implementing the Topcon Ocular Telehealth Platform
  • Malpractice
  • Influenza
  • Sexual Health
  • Chronic Conditions
  • Technology
  • Legal and Policy
  • Money
  • Opinion
  • Vaccines
  • Practice Management
  • Patient Relations
  • Careers

Primary care access influences visits to the emergency department, study says


Patients who had trouble accessing a primary care physician after hours were more likely to visit emergency departments, according to a new study.

Patients who had trouble gaining access to a primary care physician (PCP) after hours visited the emergency department more often than patients who had access to their physician, according to a new study.

According to the research, published in Health Affairs, more than 40% of patients with a regular PCP say the practice offered some kind of extended hours service, such as nights or weekends.

About 20% of patients who participated in the study reported trying to contact their PCP after hours. Of those patients, 20% found it “very difficult” to contact a clinician, whereas the other 80% report little to no difficulty.

Of the patients who had trouble reaching their clinicians, nearly 40% ended up visiting a local emergency department, whereas only about 30% with less difficulty went to the emergency department. Additionally, almost 14% of patients who had trouble gaining clinician access felt as though they had an unmet medical need, compared with 6.1% among the patients who were able to reach their clinician.

Children, though a parent or other adult, had the highest rates of trying to gain clinician access after hours, but pediatricians were significantly more responsive to after hours call than providers for adult patients, according to the study. Patients reporting “poor health” status and those without insurance or relying on Medicaid also reported more difficulty in reaching a physician after hours.

The study suggests that current payment and Medicaid reimbursement models don’t do enough to fairly compensate doctors for working evenings and weekends, even though after-hours care and reduced emergency department visits would go far in terms of reducing healthcare costs and fragmentation of care.

The study was funded by the National Institute for Health Care Reform and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Return to the current issue of eConsult




Follow Medical Economics on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Related Videos
© National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
© drsampsondavis.com