Digital health faces unique challenges since the consequences of software failure are so much more severe.
Digital health describes the use of information and communications technologies to reduce Sick Care or healthcare costs and to improve the quality of outcomes and population health as well as enhance the doctor and patient experience.
Digital health means different things to different people. Here's how I slice and dice the industry:
• Remote sensing and wearablesâ€¨
• Data analytics and intelligence, predictive modelingâ€¨
• Health and wellness behavior modification toolsâ€¨
• Bioinformatics tools (-omics)
• Medical social mediaâ€¨
• Digitized health record platformsâ€¨
• Patient -physician patient portalsâ€¨
• DIY diagnostics, compliance and treatmentsâ€¨
• Decision support systems
When it comes to digital health, there are some unique challenges when compared to other software development, since errors can cause harm to patients. Here are 10 bumps in the digital health innovation highway:
2. Intellectual property protection when using agile development techniques and lean startup methodologies.
Take smart watches and other wearables, for example:
The digital health innovation roadmap has many distractions and confusing road signs. The wary traveler should be well prepared and forewarned.