• Revenue Cycle Management
  • COVID-19
  • Reimbursement
  • Diabetes Awareness Month
  • Risk Management
  • Patient Retention
  • Staffing
  • Medical Economics® 100th Anniversary
  • Coding and documentation
  • Business of Endocrinology
  • Telehealth
  • Physicians Financial News
  • Cybersecurity
  • Cardiovascular Clinical Consult
  • Locum Tenens, brought to you by LocumLife®
  • Weight Management
  • Business of Women's Health
  • Practice Efficiency
  • Finance and Wealth
  • EHRs
  • Remote Patient Monitoring
  • Sponsored Webinars
  • Medical Technology
  • Billing and collections
  • Acute Pain Management
  • Exclusive Content
  • Value-based Care
  • Business of Pediatrics
  • Concierge Medicine 2.0 by Castle Connolly Private Health Partners
  • Practice Growth
  • Concierge Medicine
  • Business of Cardiology
  • Implementing the Topcon Ocular Telehealth Platform
  • Malpractice
  • Influenza
  • Sexual Health
  • Chronic Conditions
  • Technology
  • Legal and Policy
  • Money
  • Opinion
  • Vaccines
  • Practice Management
  • Patient Relations
  • Careers

Reporting cases of rape


My patient revealed to me that she was raped. Am I permitted to report this?

Q: My patient revealed to me that she was raped. Am I permitted to report this?

A: No, you may not report the incident without your patient's consent. Indeed, even when requested formally by a law-enforcement official, you may only report such an incident if the patient agrees. If you can't obtain consent (because of an emergency situation or the patient's incapacity), you are permitted to report the incident, but only under certain conditions. (If you believe, for instance, that disclosure is in the best interests of your patient or if law-enforcement officials believe that waiting would "materially and adversely" affect their initial investigations.)

Nevertheless, besides referring your patient to counseling, you should strongly encourage her to report the crime. If she does, and the police request her medical records, you may release them, either with her authorization or in response to a subpoena signed by a judge.

Related Videos