• Revenue Cycle Management
  • COVID-19
  • Reimbursement
  • Diabetes Awareness Month
  • Risk Management
  • Patient Retention
  • Staffing
  • Medical Economics® 100th Anniversary
  • Coding and documentation
  • Business of Endocrinology
  • Telehealth
  • Physicians Financial News
  • Cybersecurity
  • Cardiovascular Clinical Consult
  • Locum Tenens, brought to you by LocumLife®
  • Weight Management
  • Business of Women's Health
  • Practice Efficiency
  • Finance and Wealth
  • EHRs
  • Remote Patient Monitoring
  • Sponsored Webinars
  • Medical Technology
  • Billing and collections
  • Acute Pain Management
  • Exclusive Content
  • Value-based Care
  • Business of Pediatrics
  • Concierge Medicine 2.0 by Castle Connolly Private Health Partners
  • Practice Growth
  • Concierge Medicine
  • Business of Cardiology
  • Implementing the Topcon Ocular Telehealth Platform
  • Malpractice
  • Influenza
  • Sexual Health
  • Chronic Conditions
  • Technology
  • Legal and Policy
  • Money
  • Opinion
  • Vaccines
  • Practice Management
  • Patient Relations
  • Careers

Reducing corporate taxes


Learn how to avoid or minimize corporate taxes if you sell your medical practice.

A: From the seller's perspective, the best way to minimize taxes is to sell the stock of your corporation so that you pay capital gains rates, which are lower than corporate rates. In reality, most buyers don't wish to assume the liabilities associated with purchasing the legal entity, such as claims of third-party payers or potential malpractice lawsuits. Consequently, it is far more common for a practice to sell its assets, (equipment, patient contact information, goodwill, etc.) rather than as a stock sale.

Due to recent law changes, starting in 2011 your practice should be an S-Corporation for at least 5 years before the sale of assets to avoid most corporate taxes. Although you will still pay individual taxes on gain over your tax basis, you won't be taxed both as a corporation and individual as you would as a C-corporation.

Send your money management questions to
. Answers to our readers' questions were provided by Medical Economics adviser David J. Schiller, JD, Schiller Law Associates, Norristown, Pennsylvania.

Related Videos