• Revenue Cycle Management
  • COVID-19
  • Reimbursement
  • Diabetes Awareness Month
  • Risk Management
  • Patient Retention
  • Staffing
  • Medical Economics® 100th Anniversary
  • Coding and documentation
  • Business of Endocrinology
  • Telehealth
  • Physicians Financial News
  • Cybersecurity
  • Cardiovascular Clinical Consult
  • Locum Tenens, brought to you by LocumLife®
  • Weight Management
  • Business of Women's Health
  • Practice Efficiency
  • Finance and Wealth
  • EHRs
  • Remote Patient Monitoring
  • Sponsored Webinars
  • Medical Technology
  • Billing and collections
  • Acute Pain Management
  • Exclusive Content
  • Value-based Care
  • Business of Pediatrics
  • Concierge Medicine 2.0 by Castle Connolly Private Health Partners
  • Practice Growth
  • Concierge Medicine
  • Business of Cardiology
  • Implementing the Topcon Ocular Telehealth Platform
  • Malpractice
  • Influenza
  • Sexual Health
  • Chronic Conditions
  • Technology
  • Legal and Policy
  • Money
  • Opinion
  • Vaccines
  • Practice Management
  • Patient Relations
  • Careers

Buying an investment from your practice's retirement plan requires a special exemption


Can I buy an investment from my practice's defined-contribution plan rather than selling it to a third-party for what I feel is an undervalued price?

Years ago, I bought two diamonds for $52,000, using funds in my incorporated practice's defined-contribution plan. A recent appraisal says they're now worth $82,000, but I can't find a buyer that will pay more than $54,000. Can I buy the diamonds from the plan myself, instead of selling them to a jeweler for so little? My accountant says this would be a prohibited transaction and advised me to get approval from the Department of Labor first.

Your accountant gave you wise counsel. The sale, lease, or exchange of property between a qualified retirement plan and a "disqualified person" - including an employer or plan fiduciary (trustee) - is indeed a prohibited transaction. You'd need to apply for an exemption from the Department of Labor before buying the diamonds from the plan; if you don't, you would owe a hefty excise tax - at least 15 percent and possibly as much as the diamonds' entire fair market value - even though you have good intentions. To request the exemption, you'd have to write a letter to the DOL.

For details on what the letter should include plus the appropriate mailing address, see the explanation of exemption procedures at the DOL's website, http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/exemption_procedures.html. Be prepared to provide a good deal of documentation as part of your application, including statements from diamond appraisers and other experts. A hassle, yes - but worth the effort to avoid the severe excise tax for proceeding without an exemption. The DOL may well approve your request, since your strategy sounds administratively feasible as well as good for the plan, the participants, and beneficiaries.

Send your money management questions to MMQA Editor, Medical Economics, 24950 Country Club Blvd., Suite 200, North Olmsted, OH 44070, or send an email to memoney@advanstar.com (please include your regular postal address).

Related Videos